On 20 Feb 2007, Al Boldi outgrape:
> Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>> Disks are sealed, and a dessicant is present in each to keep humidity
>> down. If you ever open a disk drive (e.g. for the magnets, or the mirror
>> quality platters, or for fun) then you can see the dessicant sachet.
>
> Actually, they aren't sealed 100%.

I'd certainly hope not, unless you like the sound of imploding drives
when you carry one up a mountain.

> On wd's at least, there is a hole with a warning printed on its side:
>
>                       DO NOT COVER HOLE BELOW
>                       V       V      V      V

I suspect that's for air-pressure equalization.

> In contrast, older models from the last century, don't have that hole.

It was my understanding that disks have had some way of equalizing
pressure with their surroundings for many years; but I haven't verified
this so you may well be right that this is a recent thing. (Anyone know
for sure?)

--
`In the future, company names will be a 32-character hex string.'
  --- Bruce Schneier on the shortage of company names