Johny Mail list wrote:
Hello list,
I have a little question about software RAID on Linux.
I have installed Software Raid on all my SC1425 servers DELL by
believing that the md raid was a strong driver.
And recently i make some test on a server and try to view if the RAID
hard drive power failure work fine, so i power up my server and after
booting and the prompt appear I disconnected the power cable of my
SATA hard drive. Normaly the MD should eleminate the failure hard
drive of the logical drive it build, and the server continue to work
fine like nothing happen. Oddly the server stop to respond and i get
this messages :
ata4.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata4.00: cmd e7/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/a0 tag 0 cdb 0x0 data 0
             res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4 (timeout)
ata4: port is slow to respond, please be patient (Status 0xd0)
ata4: port failed to respond (30sec, Status 0xd0)
ata4: soft resetting port

After that my system is frozen. Normaly in a basic RAID the device is
"disable" in the logical RAID device (md0) and it only use the last
disk.

cc to linux-ide added.

Unfortunately this is not an artifact of the linux raid driver, rather it appears to be an issue with the SATA driver and related error recovery. Some information about what kernel, configuration, drives, controller cards and other relevant system information would be good.

See the information at this URL for the sort of extra information that would be
handy.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/reporting-bugs.html

Regards,
Brad