Alberto Alonso wrote:
On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 15:16 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
Not in the older kernel versions you were running, no.

These "old versions" (specially the RHEL) are supposed to be
the official versions supported by Redhat and the hardware vendors, as they were very specific as to what versions of Linux were supported.

So the vendors of the failing drives claimed that these kernels were supported? That's great, most vendors don't even consider Linux supported. What response did you get when you reported the problem to Redhat on your RHEL support contract? Did they agree that this hardware, and its use for software raid, was supported and intended?

 Of all people, I would think you would
appreciate that. Sorry if I sound frustrated and upset, but it is clearly a result of what "supported and tested" really means in this case. I don't want to go into a discussion of
commercial distros, which are "supported" as this is nor the
time nor the place but I don't want to open the door to the
excuse of "its an old kernel", it wasn't when it got installed.
The problem is in the time travel module. It didn't properly cope with future hardware, and since you have very long uptimes, I'm reasonably sure you haven't updated the kernel to get fixes installed.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc