Chris Eddington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the pointer on xfs_repair -n , it actually tells me something
> (some listed below) but I'm not sure what it means but there seems to be
> a lot of data loss.  One complication is I see an error message in ata6,
> so I moved the disks around thinking it was a flaky sata port, but I see
> the error again on ata4 so it seems to follow the disk.  But it happens
> exactly at the same time during xfs_repair sequence, so I don't think it
> is a flaky disk.
Does dmesg have any info/sata errors?

xfs_repair will have problems if the disk is bad. You may want to image the disk
(possibly onto the 'spare'?) if it is bad.

>  I'll go to the xfs mailing list on this.
Very good idea :)

> Is there a way to be sure the disk order is right?
The order looks right to me.
xfs_repair wouldn't recognise it as well as it does if the order was wrong.

> not way out of wack since I'm seeing so much from xfs_repair.  Also
> since I've been moving the disks around, I want to be sure I have the
> right order.

Bear in mind that -n stops the repair fixing a problem. Then as the 'repair'
proceeds it becomes very confused by problems that should have been fixed.

This is evident in the superblock issue (which also probably explains the failed
mount).

> Is there a way to try restoring using the other disk?
No the event count was very out of date.