Yes, this is exactly the kind of symptoms I've experienced. I was losing a drive here and there every couple of months (mostly the last two drives sdc and sdd) which I though were cable problems (shut down, re-plug the cables and restart and it would always work, with add/rebuild the 4th disk). But now my guess is the motherboard chipset is overheating (or maybe the drives). I have an MSI K9N platinum AMD/Nividia chipset that has 4 raid ports + 2 raid ports from a separate chip. The mb chipset comes with a wimpy heatsink on it and it is very hot to the touch. I had been planning to replace it but never got around to it.

I've been out of town this week so I had someone image all three disks. He used ghost disk image application. He said the third disk reported media problems, and about 5% of the data was not fixable (sector errors). Using these three copied drives, the array comes up and xfs_repair still reports a bunch of inode repairs as before, but it is a bit different, maybe even a reduction in losses. But most important is the hpa_sector errors no longer occur.

Key questions:
- I assume ddrescue will do a much better job of correcting errors when imaging a disk? My colleague used ghost which is just a copy tool. I don't understand the capabilities of ddrescue on raid partitions that well. - fdisk -l reports that all the drives are exactly the same size with exactly the same # sectors shown below. I don't quite follow the hpa_resize issue, but it appears the drives don't have hidden HPA sectors - I guess? Note that sdc is the original drive, where sda, sdb, and sdd are the imaged drives.

So what do you recommend to do first? Should I try xfs_repair on the ghost copy, or just re-copy myself using ddrescue? Are there special settings to ddrescue I should consider to verify/correct potential HPA changes?

Thks,
Chris

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
/dev/sda1 1 60801 488384001 fd Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
/dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 fd Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
/dev/sdc1 1 60801 488384001 fd Linux raid autodetect
Disk /dev/sdd: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
/dev/sdd1 1 60801 488384001 fd Linux raid autodetect

Bill Davidsen wrote:
David Greaves wrote:
Chris Eddington wrote:
Yes, there is some kind of media error message in dmesg, below.  It is
not random, it happens at exactly the same moments in each xfs_repair -n
run.
Nov 11 09:48:25 altair kernel: [37043.300691]          res
51/40:00:01:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e1 Emask 0x9 (media error)
Nov 11 09:48:25 altair kernel: [37043.304326] ata4.00: ata_hpa_resize 1:
sectors = 976773168, hpa_sectors = 976773168
Nov 11 09:48:25 altair kernel: [37043.307672] ata4.00: ata_hpa_resize 1:
sectors = 976773168, hpa_sectors = 976773168

I'm not sure what an ata_hpa_resize error is...

HPA = Hardware Protected Area.

In any case, run "fdisk -l" and look at the claimed total disk size and the end point of the last partition. The HPA is not included in the "disk size" so nothing should be trying to do so.
It probably explains the problems you've been having with the raid not 'just
recovering' though.

I saw this:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-kernel-70/sata-issues-568894/

May be the same thing. Let us know what fdisk reports.

What does smartctl say about your drive?

IMO the spare drive is no longer useful for data recovery - you may want to use
ddrescue to try and copy this drive to the spare drive.

David
PS Don't get the ddrescue parameters the wrong way round if you go that route...