Justin Piszcz wrote:

While we are on the subject of bad blocks, is it possible to do what 3ware raid controllers do without an external card?

They know when a block is bad and they remap it to another part of the array etc, where as with software raid you never know this is happening until the disk is dead.

Are you sure the 3ware software is remapping the bad blocks, or is it just reporting the bad blocks were remapped?

As I understand it, bad block remapping (reallocated sectors), are done internally at the drive level.

Perhaps all 3ware are doing is running the SMART command for reallocated sectors on all drives on a periodic basis and reporting any changes?

Regards,

Richard