On Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 02:59:44PM -0600, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:

> I've managed to get myself into a little problem.
>
> Since power hits were taking out the /boot partition, I decided to split
> /boot out of root. Working from my emergency partition,  I copied all files
> from /root, re-partitioned what had been /root into room for /boot and
> /root, and then created the drives. This left me with /dev/md/boot,
> /dev/md/root, and /dev/md/base (everything else).
>
> I modified mdadm.conf on the emergency partition, used update-initramfs to
> make certain that the new md drives would be recognized, and rebooted. This
> worked as expected.
>
> I then mounted all the entire new file system on a mount point, copied the
> mdadm.conf to that point, did a chroot to that point, and did an
> update-initramfs so that the non-emergency partition would have the updated
> mdadm.conf. This worked -- but with complaints about missing the file
> /proc/modules (which is not present under chroot). If I use the -v option I
> can see the raid456, raid1, etc. modules loading.
>
> I modified menu.lst to make certain that boot=/dev/md/boot, ran grub
> (thanks, Robin!) successfully.
>
> Problem: on reboot, the I get an error message:
>
> root (hd0,1)  (Moshe comment: as expected)
> Filesystem type is xfs, partition type 0xfd (Moshe comment: as expected)
> kernel /boot/vmliuz-etc.-amd64 root=/dev/md/boot ro
>
> Error 15: File not found

"File not found" at that point would suggest it can't find the kernel
file.  The path here should be relative to the root of the partition
/boot is on, so if your /boot is its own partition then you should
either use "kernel /vmlinuz...." or (the more usual solution from what
I've seen) make sure there's a symlink:
        ln -s . /boot/boot

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___
    ( ' }     |       Robin Hill        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |