In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:

> > I actually  think the kernel should operate with block sizes
> > like this and not wth 4 kiB blocks. It is the readahead and the elevator
> > algorithms that save us from randomly reading 4 kb a time.
> >

> Exactly, and nothing save a R-A-RW cycle if the write is a partial chunk.

Indeed kernel page size is an important factor in such optimizations.
But you have to keep in mind that this is mostly efficient for (very)
large strictly sequential I/O operations only -  actual  file  system
traffic may be *very* different.

We implemented the option to select kernel page sizes of  4,  16,  64
and  256  kB for some PowerPC systems (440SPe, to be precise). A nice
graphics of the effect can be found here:

https://www.amcc.com/MyAMCC/retrieveDocument/PowerPC/440SPe/RAIDinLinux_PB_0529a.pdf

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You got to learn three things. What's  real,  what's  not  real,  and
what's the difference."           - Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_