On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 05:21:58PM +0100, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
> Hi Mark,

Hi Sylwester,

> On 08/27/2013 11:14 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
> >> +endpoint node
> >> +-------------
> >> +
> >> +- data-lanes : (optional) specifies MIPI CSI-2 data lanes as covered in
> >> +  video-interfaces.txt. This property can be only used to specify number
> >> +  of data lanes, i.e. the array's content is unused, only its length is
> >> +  meaningful. When this property is not specified default value of 1 lane
> >> +  will be used.
> >
> > Apologies for having not replied to the last posting, but having looked
> > at the documentation I was provided last time [1], I don't think the
> > values in the data-lanes property should be described as unused. That
> > may be the way the Linux driver functions at present, but it's not how
> > the generic video-interfaces binding documentation describes the
> > property.
> >
> > If the CSI transmitter hardware doesn't support logical remapping of
> > lanes, then the only valid values for data-lanes would be a contiguous
> > list of lane IDs starting at 1, ending at 4 at most. Valid values for
> > the property would be one of:
> >
> > data-lanes = <1>;
> > data-lanes = <1>, <2>;
> > data-lanes = <1>, <2>, <3>;
> > data-lanes = <1>, <2>, <3>, <4>;
> >
> > We can mention the fact the hardware doesn't support remapping of lanes,
> > and therefore the list must start with lane 1 and end with (at most)
> > lane 4. That way a dts will match the generic binding and actually
> > describe the hardware, and it's possible for Linux (or any other OS) to
> > factor out the parsing of data-lanes later as desired.
> >
> > I don't think we should offer freedom to encode garbage in the dt when
> > we can just as easily encourage more standard use of bindings that will
> > make our lives easier in the long-term.
>
> I entirely agree, that's a very accurate analysis.
>
> Presumably the data-lanes property's descriptions could be improved so
> it is said explicitly that array elements 0...N - 1, where N = 4,
> correspond to logical data lanes 1...N.

That makes sense to me.

> Then considering the values in the data-lanes property, I didn't make
> the description terribly specific about the fact that pool of indexes
> 0...4 is used for the clock lane and 4 data lanes. The values could well
> be H/W specific, but it seems more sensible to enforce common range.
> It may not match exactly with documentation of various hardware. E.g.
> OMAP, see page 1661, register CSI2_COMPLEXIO_CFG [1], uses indexes
> 1..5 to indicate position of a data lane and 0 is used to mark a lane
> as unused.

Ah, I see. I guess this boils down to what the "physical indexes"
referred to by the video-interfaces binding actually are. If an
interface may only ever have 5 lanes, then using a logical index sounds
fine. But if we ever have the case where a CSI transmitter has more than
5 lanes (so it could communicate with multiple receviers), then the
value has to become hardware-specific. At that point, we'd possibly need
to define remapping of the clocks too. I'm not that familiar with CSI so
I'm not sure if such a device is possible.

> I think we should have similarly defined value 0 to indicate an unused
> lane. None of drivers in mainline uses this line remapping feature, so
> changing meaning of the array values wouldn't presumably have any bad
> side effects. I'm not sure if it's OK to make a change like this now.
> IIUC the MIPI CSI-2 standard requires consecutive data lane indexes,
> so valid set of data lanes could be only: <1>, <1, 2>, <1, 2, 3>,
> <1, 2, 3, 4>. So there seems to be no issue for MIPI CSI-2. But for
> future protocols the current convention might not have been flexible
> enough.

Given that the video-interfaces binding refers to the clock being on
lane 0, I'm not sure it makes sense to reserve this as an unused id --
we'd be saying the lane is the clock to say it's unused, but maybe that
doesn't matter.

Thanks,
Mark.