You will need to make HDMI audio your default device I guess(appears first
in aplay -I list). I had a similar issue with the new version of XBMC where
it used the first audio device and I was unable to select the audio device
I wanted using the UI. To get around this compiled the audio driver I
wanted into the kernel and then had the other drivers as kernel modules, to
do this you will need to change your .config file or hack the KConfigs in
the audio area of the kernel that I pointed to earlier.

The clean way of doing this and I'd appreciate it if you could spend some
time looking into this is to have a look here
http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards#mw-head and get your head around how
the alsa configuration works with the ordering of multiple cards. This way
no ugly hacks are required and you won't have to do any rebuilding.

CK