> For quite a few of the linaro member companies, this is really just
> another consortium. They dispatch some fluff "engineers" that are
> usually not too useful anywhere else, and then pat themselves on the
> back that they are now actively doing the "open source" thing as well.

Linaro is completely useless if company decides to go "sort of
opensource/we-don't-care-about-you".

Recent example is Huawei's daughter, HiSilicon joining Linaro - you cant
use Linaro hisi kernel anywhere, there is just no public devices that can
run it. I'm saying this as an owner of a tablet on HiSilicon K3V2.
HiSilicon got their mainline and android kernel working - but no one,
except themselves, can use it because u-boot/x-loader sources are closed
and zero usage manuals provided. Plus Huawei got into "securityboot/drm"
thing android hype and locked the bootloaders - to get the unlock code for
fastboot you need to know someone from Huawei or wait 2-3 weeks for support
answer (some times, they dont get what you want and you need to write two
or three times until they figure out and send your request properly).
Imagine what happens when 2k users of K3V2 tablets will request drm-off.

I, of course, could spent a week with an osc probe seeking for UART on 45+
testpoints on my tablets 5mil pcb and then infinite amount of time figuring
out their bootsequence, patch x-loader and launch it and it will probably
work, but seriously, why just they don't start with basic plan/reference
documentation of what they are doing and how to test/help?

That is "typical Linaro" picture for me right now, and I do not expect
anything interesting out of Allwinner either. I bet they will push crappy
sun8i/sun9i support and couple missing drivers (as everything simple is
already done) and then forget about it...

Lets just hope we will not see our code with copyrights removed.

> Allwinner joining linaro will only reduce Allwinners
> active contributions to linux-sunxi in future.

Even more - Allwinner joining Linaro will lead to less interest from other
guys like Free-Electrons/RedHat.