On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Maxime Ripard
<maxime.rip...@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 12:56:37AM +0800, wens Tsai wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Maxime Ripard
>> <maxime.rip...@free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Chen-Yu,

>> > Thanks for your amazing work.

>> > What is left to be posted, besides the DT bits?
>>
>> This is actually getting rid of the DT parsing code in the regulator
>> driver, and using common code in the regulator core added in 3.19-rc1.
>> So this is new.
>
> Oh, cool.

>> > There was some discussion since for some board (maybe the APP4) we had
>> > some circular dependency between the regulators exposed by the
>> > PMIC. Has that been taken care of?
>>
>> The work Boris has done on that doesn't mesh well with the previous
>> item.
>
> What previous items? The DT parsing code removal?

Yes.

>> For now I've dropped that bit. The dependency is ELDOs are
>> powered from DCDC1, which is a fairly simple dependency. I think
>> we can get around it by registering the DCDC ones first.
>
> The thing is that this dependency is pretty much dependant on the
> board. We could really well have other combinations on different
> boards, that we wouldn't be able to solve.

I doubt anyone sane would chain DCDC regulators or LDO regulators,
like DCDC1 -> DCDC2-in, or ALDO1 -> ELDO-in. It doesn't make sense
from an efficiency standpoint. And you'll likely be further limited
by how much current the parent regulator can drive.

A more likely scenario would be DCDC -> some external regulator ->
xLDO. I don't think the regulator_set stuff solves this either.

>> > Did you test individual OPPs or global ones (ie per-board or per-SoC)?
>> > Eventually, I'd like to have per-SoC OPPs. It doesn't seem that
>> > undoable from the spreadsheet I shared with you.
>>
>> I've tested per-SoC OPPs with the boards I have using the hardware
>> reliability
>> test on the wiki [1]. Doing per-board OPPs should be as simple as overriding
>> the OPP table in the board dts. As I will state in the series cover letter,
>> for sun[457]i the OPPs are the same or very similar.
>
> Nice.
>
>> For sun6i it is somewhat harder.
>
> Yep, that version D thing is going to cause us a bit of trouble, but
> since we don't have any hardware available, I'd say we should ignore
> it for now.

Sounds good. This becomes rather simple then. Just need to get the
AXP221 patches merged first.

I hope that the voltage tolerance levels on the hypothetical version D
is high enough so that we don't ruin anyone's board though.

ChenYu