Hi
> Javqui is not referring to the GPU but the VPU (Video). CedarX. MPEG-1/2,
> H.264, DivX, etc.
>
> Besides the opened part from PowerVR is sadly one of their publication
> stunts. http://libv.livejournal.com/. And when the PR department gets
> confronted with their own BS, they give you the silence treatment
>
> The only one thing I can say is PowerVR is poison. They don't even bow to
> Intel, Search for Poulsbo.
I know it very well since I already have run Linux on Intel Atom CloverTrail
platform and on BayTrail.

> So open GPU Drivers for A80, is not going to happen. It didn't happen for
> Intel Atom, it didn't happen when the FSF made it a priority project.
> Besides the A80 will not exist long enough.
The A64 might have the same GPU as well... So it's not about making an A80
specific driver but a generic control for Rogue.
Besides. Poulsbo at least initializes with linux-next.

> If Allwinner is interested in FOSS gpu drivers, which they should be, they'd
> better support the Lima, Etnaviv, etc. projects.
It doesn't support 4K high resolution video...
It doesn't crash on regular basis either though.
But the regular Mali just doesn't provide enough performance for these high
end purpose this A64/A80 is intended for...
I think at some point of time Allwinner will accomplish what FSF ist just
talking about, just because Allwinner wants to have more spare time by
streaming up as many drivers as possible -_-

> P.S. Take a look at EOMA-68 and Luck Leighton. He's pretty far along with a
> modular tablet including an A20 CPU.
I don't have to.
I know Aaron in person already and was involved into the Vivaldi project until
I ran off because of Mr. Leighton.
And I don't even wanna hear Lukes name anymore since my experience with his
super self confident crappy "we castrate the Allwinner chipset" hardware design
approach and these "super constructive" threadlong flame wars on our mailing
list...
You know what the right approach is to build a system on module?
Go and ask the chip manufacturer to build you a SoC made for that purpose
and they will help you (like Allwinner does)
But I don't even wanna discuss this past any further otherwise my stomach
ulcer comes back... -.-'

cheers
--
David Lanzendörfer