> can you run dmesg | grep codec and also show a diff of all your
> changes. To get the codec working should only be one line added to
> your dts.

D'oh! You got me thinking here for a while. Turns out, I made the wrong
kind of change to the dts.
I generated the .dts from the .dtb in /boot/dtbs with dtc -I dtb -O dts and
then changed codec's status from "disabled" to "enabled". (I'm coming from
3.4.X & .fex land so I need to get used to dts).
I now added the following entry to sun7i-a20-olinuxino-micro.dts and went
the whole preprocess-then-dtc route and it works fine now.

&codec {
  status="okay";
}

Sorry for the noise and thanks for the help/inspiration :)

Thomas