On Wed, Apr 16, 2025 at 02:01:15PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> The above was created by:
> 
>  # trace-cmd sqlhist -e -n user_faults SELECT TIMESTAMP_DELTA_USECS as delta 
> FROM page_fault_user_enter as start JOIN \
>      page_fault_user_exit as end ON start.common_pid = end.common_pid

Pfff, that's SQL.

You're too old fashioned - you need an AI thing now :-P

So tell me: I as a silly user, how do I figure out how to use trace-cmd?
I guess it has docs somewhere...

And apparently I need trace-cmd now - I can't type all that into sysfs... Or
I guess I can use trace-cmd to generate the commands and then I can echo them
into the target machine.

I.e., ftrace still doesn't need a special tool to be used...

> This was just a simple example. I rather see where in the kernel it happens.
> I can still use the synthetic events and user stack trace to find where the
> big faults occur.

Right, so it would be great to have the actual use case in a patch's commit
message... i.e., why is a patch important.

> > Now if only that info were in the commit message along with the usage 
> > scenario
> > so that people can *actually* do what you guys are bragging about...
> 
> I plan on adding things like this to Documentation/trace/debugging.rst
> 
> I need to get time out to add a bunch of helpful tricks there.

Yap, please.

I have to admit I was able to catch a trace for tglx using only the ftrace
documentation we have so it must be good. But moar is better. :-P

Thx man!

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

https://people.kernel.org/tglx/notes-about-netiquette

Reply via email to