Hi Kees, Andy, > Date: 2026-10-05 04:22:15-0700 > From: Kees Cook <[email protected]> > > On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 11:34:30AM +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote: > > On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 12:26:39AM -0700, Kees Cook wrote: > > > I'd rather not make all 0-len strings return the .data segment's const > > > "" string... > > > > Good point. Perhaps then to add a short note to the kernel doc, > > so we won't see patches based on the suggestion like I gave? > > Yeah, reasonable. :) For v5 I've added this to seq_buf_str()'s kernel-doc: > > * A zero-sized seq_buf has nowhere to put a NUL, so the empty string > * is returned instead of writing to @s->buffer. Any other seq_buf > * returns @s->buffer, even when it holds an empty string, so callers > * always get their own buffer back.
Are such buffers actually used on purpose anywhere? Why not keep the WARN_ON? Have a lovely day! Alex > > -Kees > > -- > Kees Cook > -- <https://www.alejandro-colomar.es>
