On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 09:36:31AM +0100, Thomas Jarosch wrote:

> > > I thought using the _IO macros should do it
> > > or did I miss something?
> >
> > No, those macros don't do it.  If you have a strong stomach, look at:
> > arch/sparc64/kernel/ioctl32.c
> > for just one of the arch specific files that you will have to modify.
> > Make sure you get them all, or you will have some angry maintainers to
> > deal with...
>
> But this isn't necessary if the new handler
> is inside the ftdi_sio driver, is it? :-)

Yes it is.  That file is the thunking layer for a whole raft of ioctls
whose "real" handlers are within some other part of the kernel.

> > > The bitbang mode just changes the final behavior of the chip,
> > > all data transfer is done the same way.
> >
> > But the end use of the device is then different, right?
>
> Not really. For example I'll use it as a synchronous serial line
> (using one output as clock line) on over 100+ machines
> to flash an Atmel microcontroller.

Well, I'll wait to see the final result to make a judgement call, as I
don't think I really understand this different mode that this chipset
can be in.

thanks,

greg k-h