On Sat, 28 Jun 2003, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> If the files are the same now, then you should be able to apply this patch
> to 2.4 -- that's one of the reasons Alan sent you a 2.4 patch to support
> the US_*_DEVICE codes.
>
> Matt
>
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:39:03PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 10:36:37PM -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > > This patch re-sorts unusual_devs.h and removes some duplicate entries.
> >
> > Can you give me the same patch for 2.4 too?  Right now it's easy to
> > apply the same patch to both kernels, and I'd like to keep that if
> > possible.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h

I haven't been keeping careful track, but my impression has been that some
new entries to unusual_devs.h were made for 2.4 and others for 2.5 --
maybe the two versions of the file aren't identical.

Perhaps they should be.  One patch I sent in not too long ago removed some
flag bits that are completely unused in 2.5 and almost, but not quite,
entirely unused in 2.4.  I believe the two flags were START_STOP and
IGNORE_SER.  I got rid of all their occurrences in unusual_devs.h and
maybe also removed a few entries that didn't do anything once the flags
were gone.

That would account for a difference between the 2.4 and 2.5 versions.
Now 2.4 doesn't need START_STOP any more either.  I'm not so sure about
IGNORE_SER -- that was related to the issue of recognizing an old device
when it is reattached, something 2.5 doesn't do at all.  I don't know to
what extent it matters for 2.4.  However, IGNORE_SER is only present in
one entry in unusual_devs.h.  There would be no harm in re-introducing
that entry back to 2.5, simply by defining the flag to have a value of 0.
That way the two versions of the file could remain identical.