  David.B> You sound alarmed!  If that's alarmed enough to find out
  David.B> what the real problem is, maybe you'll end up fixing it
  David.B> ... :)

Except I know almost nothing about the USB stack.

  David.B> Agreed, oopsing == bad.  HID needs more attention.  I
  David.B> suspect whoever dives into that will want to know what you
  David.B> mean by "(mostly) fine"; that might give a clue about what
  David.B> 2.6 changes worsened the failures.

Are you saying nobody is maintaining HID?

        --david