I didn't reply to all.  oops.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christopher Montgomery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jul 2, 2006 12:17 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-usb-devel] new EHCI scheduler and shudtown
question / interrupt race
To: Alan Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 7/2/06, Alan Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't understand the problem you are describing.  The kernel doesn't
> kill off an IRQ unless it gets a lot of unhandled interrupts (99900 out of
> the last 100000).  But none of the interrupts you mention will be
> unhandled -- ehci-hcd will handle all of them.  So what's the issue?

I may be conflating the results of two different problems (that is,
the logging may also be slowing down interrupt handling enough that
that's enough to have the kernel think interrupts are not being
serviced).  I'll assemble logs; I don't have them now because I had to
disable all the code that kills off devices when too many interrupt
errors come in else I couldn't syslog for debugging purposes.

But the real question is why USB's left hand is processing thousands
of interrupts reporting -EPROTO (and trying, repeatedly, to reset and
re-up the device) while USB's right hand is fully aware that the
hardware has disappeared-- it is already well into
usb_disconnect_xxx() processing as this is going on (of that much I'm
certain).  The interrupts are coming in and being serviced during the
attempt to remove the hardware.

Monty