On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Dylan Taft wrote:

> Hi all.  I'm using a vanilla linux-2.6.22 kernel.  I just noticed I
> get these messages while my laptop is sitting around doing nothing, 2
> of my USB ports get disabled.   I'm not sure what's causing them, to
> reproduce I just let the laptop sit idle for maybe 5 minutes. rmmod
> uhci_hcd

Sure you don't mean ehci_hcd?  Acoording to your /proc/interrupts
listing, it is the driver using IRQ 23.

>  and modprobeing it brings it back for a few more minutes but
> the message pops back up.  I'm using a Lenovo T61.  Does anyone have
> any possible suggestions or kernel patches I can try?  Thanks!

These errors occur because some device is using IRQ 23 but the kernel
doesn't know it.  Maybe the kernel thinks it is using some other IRQ or
maybe the kernel doesn't know of the device's existence at all.

You could compare /proc/interrupts with earlier kernel versions to see
if anything has changed.

Sometimes problems in the ACPI drivers can cause this behavior.  You
can try booting with acpi=noirq.

Alan Stern