Alan Stern writes:
> Maybe.  The difficulty with trying to solve these "nobody cared"
> problems is that you can't rely on the list of known interrupt
> handlers.  By definition, "nobody cared" means some interrupts occurred
> which the handlers all ignored.  Maybe something is wrong with one of
> the handlers, but more likely the interrupts were caused by a
> completely different device -- one without a registered handler on that
> IRQ.

Interesting. I have a lot on IRQ9: /proc/interrupts shows yenta,
uhci_hcd:usb1, YMFPCI, eth0. Those are all working now (the cardbus
eth0 card, the usb hub, and sound). But if the bad device doesn't
have a handler registered, does that mean it might not even show
up in /proc/interrupts?

(Hmm, maybe I spoke too soon. Turns out the cardbus network card
no longer gets configured properly on insert, only at boot. But I
suspect that's an unrelated issue: dmesg does show eject/insert
events, and that means the IRQ is working for yenta, right?)

> Quite often ACPI ends up being involved, one way or another.  What
> happens if you boot with "acpi=off"?

It's definitely not ACPI -- I disable that entirely and use APM,
because of bug 8274 where kacpid eats up all available CPU time.

        ...Akkana