On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 10:14:11PM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Dylan Taft wrote:
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > > This started happening in 2.6.21 suddenly, which is why I tried
> > > upgrading to 2.6.22.
>
> Alan Stern writes:
> > It would be a good idea for you to post this on the Bluetooth
> > development list
>
> I don't think it's bluetooth specific. I just started seeing this
> too, and I don't have bluetooth.  I built 2.6.22.1 and tried it; it
> worked for a short time, but then sound and a USB mouse (plugged in
> through an external USB2 hub) both started getting flaky. Turns out
> sound and USB are both on IRQ 9 (as is pcmcia, and I guess the
> pcmcia network card wins).  The machine is a Vaio SR17 laptop.
> Strangely, 2.6.21.3 had been working fine for weeks, even with a hub.
>
> I got a dmesg similar to the one that started this thread (pasted at
> the end of this message).  Booting with irqpoll does fix it, but I'd
> rather not do that: this is an old and slow PIII machine, but it
> worked great with older kernels.  Booting with noapic doesn't help.

Not long ago, I learned that IRQ 9 is commonly used by ACPI.  I've got
several machines which won't boot certain kernel versions (and this problem
seems to "come and go" as the versions progress).

Booting with "acpi=off" makes them all work.  I have no idea why.  You may
also want to fiddle with any BIOS settings to enable/disable ACPI.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's not that hard.  No matter what the problem is, tell the customer
to reinstall Windows.
                                        -- Nurse
User Friendly, 3/22/1998