Mark Tomlinson wrote:

> So if you don't press enter the connection stays up???
>
> This is a guess (so I'm too scared to respond to the list...) but I'm
> assuming your ISP does not expect you to use a login/password at this login
> prompt, but rather go straight into sending PPP packets. The actual
> authentication takes places somewhere in the PPP options, and not at the
> login/password prompts. The reason for hanging up when you press enter may
> be that the ISP does not support any shell access, and this is their way of
> saying that....

Bingo! I selected the "Let PPP do all authentication" box and it all
worked. Thanks Mark.

I don't want the list behaviour to frighten off people with wild guesses
to a posed problem. Perhaps we ("the-list") should be more polite?

Anyway, the reason PPP wasn't doing authentication anymore (and giving
me this problem) was because I upgraded RH7.2 to RH7.3 I don't know why
it would have changed my settings. I did the upgrade to try and fix a
kernel panic on boot, but it didn't help.

The kernel panic problem turned out to be because I was missing the
/initrd directory. The error message wasn't particularly helpful. If
anyone hasn't seen the kernel panic before, this is a nice easy way to
do it :-)

Cheers,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]