Hi,

Does anyone here use a tape drive for backup?
I am using Mandrake 9.0.  I see there is a program called 'kdat' that
looks like it should simplify backup.  However it says 'no tape'.   So
I guess I need to first mount the tape drive - this I do not
understand how to do.

Inspecting the /dev directory I see my tape drive under
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target5/lun0 which has character devices
labelled:  mt,  mta,  mtan,  mtl,   mtln,  mtm,   mtmn,  mtn.    This
seems to line up with this also:  /dev/tapes/tape0  which only has
character devices  st0,  st0a,  st0l,  st0m.

But how and which of these devices do I mount?  I try a few variations
on the mount command but couldn't get it to work - kept saying it
couldn't find the device.   Anyone got some tips please?   Should I
specify a block size?  A file system?  Sync or Async?

Or am I on the totally wrong tack?

Thanks,
    Bryce Stenberg

CAUTION: This email message and accompanying data may contain information
that is confidential and subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have
received this email message in error please notify us immediately and erase
all copies of the message and attachments.
 ALSO, unless expressly stated otherwise, the contents of this message
represent only the views of the sender as expressed only to the intended
recipient, do not commit Harness Racing New Zealand (HRNZ) to any course of
action and are not intended to impose any legal obligation upon HRNZ.