On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 20:06 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM, chris <che...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 19:29 +1200, Nick Rout wrote:
<snip>

> >> IME not always. In fact there must be a change in X if it is not
> >> working now and did in a previous edition.
> >>
> >> Look for the wrong/non existent edid in the log file.
<snip>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_display_identification_data

After following the suggestions offered, I downloaded -compiled the
script, which worked and gave me new modes etc.

However, there is no edid information in the xorg.log files.
Also in the >preferences>monitor gui, it only offers Default monitor,
and all other options greyed out.

I have after some work obtained the edid information for this monitor, a
Viewsonic wms wide 22".  I used the viewsonic edid.exe program on the XP
partition of this box to obtain the edid information. (As an aside, this
programme will not run under Vista);but I am stuck at this point as to
how to get it into the system.

Also, just to check there is not a hardware issue, I installed Linux
mint 10, into am Asus p4, that I have hanging around.  Same result, and
the same limited resolutions.

Further suggestions more than gratefully appreciated, as my 70 year old
brain is nearly at its limit.

(Moans, Oh why could I not have stayed with CPM?)
regards Chris T