chris wrote, On 06/23/2010 07:52 PM:
   As I needed to keep SWMBO happy I uncoupled the box from my KVM switch
and set it up with the Viewsonic as a standalone system.
Bingo, it picked up the monitor and the edid information and immediately
settled onto the 1680x1050 resolution.
Also in the gui, it shows the full range of resolutions, and the monitor
name etc.

So the problem apparently is the KVM switch.
(which has not been an issue up until this release).

So the KVM switch is filtering out the EDID info. Get a better KVM switch. Novaview and Rextron ones work well.

A four port PS2 switch with OSD is about $200+
A four port USB switch with OSD is about $220+
2 port ones are available, but they don't do OSD or chaining.

Cables are normally extras too, in case they're a part of your existing KVM.

You can get 8 and 16 port ones too, but they're getting really pricy.

Interestingly - some KVM switches support dual monitors now.

Another option is to buy a new separate monitor and lose the KVM switch completely - probably quite similar costs.

--
Craig Falconer