On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 11:45 +1200, Craig Falconer wrote:
> chris wrote, On 06/23/2010 07:52 PM:
> >    As I needed to keep SWMBO happy I uncoupled the box from my KVM switch
> > and set it up with the Viewsonic as a standalone system.
> > Bingo, it picked up the monitor and the edid information and immediately
<snip>
> switch.   Novaview and Rextron ones work well.
>
> A four port PS2 switch with OSD is about $200+
> A four port USB switch with OSD is about $220+
> 2 port ones are available, but they don't do OSD or chaining.
<snip>
> completely - probably quite similar costs.

Hi Craig,
what I actually did, was follow an x-org template sent by Aaron (I
think)
and add the preferred mode into that, so it is now working fine through
the switch.
Just for your info, there were two issues.  One was a flaky hard drive
which I have consigned >null
The other the Kvm switch.
Also on the ubuntu forum =technical support, a number of heads have
popped up with the same kvm issue, or looking for solutions.

I need to read man xorg and work out how to include a driver section to
finish the whole thing off.
However for now working and nearly completely resolved.
And SWMBO is happy.
On a personal note, how is the land rover?
We are still wandering around the landscape
Cheers Chris Thomas