A few more data points:
1) On my lone Caldera box, i'm still using the 1.x version of KDM, and
it allows me to use the latest stable XFCE without a problem
2) On my 2 RedHat boxes, I use GDM, and it also allows me to use XFCE
without a problem.

This suggests that the 2.x version of KDM is the problem.  Can't say i'm
too surprised.

=====