On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:44:21 +1130
Mike Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > "Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I'm running KDE 2.2.1 on WS 3.1 and want to add xfce so I can try
> > > it.
>

> Ditto. This *really* would make a good SxS folks. Anyone ready to
> tackle it?
>
> (I'm on RH72)

I'll give it a whirl (also running RH72 at the moment)

First off, are you married to KDM? If not, and you don't mind GDM then
try this:

Compile options for XFce: (these are mine, the important ones refer to
GDM)

./configure --disable-dt
--enable-gtk-engines=/usr/lib/gtk/themes/engines \--enable-xft
--enable-gdm --with-gdm-prefix=/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions \--enable-arts=yes
&& \ make && \
make install

Switching from KDM to using GDM as a graphical login

Open the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop in your favorite editor and change
DESKTOP="KDE" to read DESKTOP="GNOME", then restart X and you should be
looking at GDM - select XFce from the menu after entering your username
but before you add your password (in case you're like me and habitually
hit enter as soon as the password is there ;-) and you're good to go.

HTH
--
Myles Green Calgary AB Canada
Alberta Linux Step by Step Mirror: