dep wrote inter alia:
> second, and this *isn't* an advertisement; do not feel in any way
> obligated to go here no matter how attractive i might make it seem;
> my take on the whole sorry mess of distributions today is here:
>
> http://www.linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=62
>
> i really do think that distributions are too much interested in the
> next quarter, and not interested enough in what brung 'em to the
> dance in the first place.

To summarize your essay: Caldera, the Linux distro you
a. love to hate or
b. hate to love.

Some observations: eDesk 2.4 used (in my case, uses) GRUB. I've never
had any problems using it once I figured out the syntax and the screwy
command for reinstalling it after a rogue distro shoves its bootloader
into the MBR.

SuSE. Corporate motto: "ve haf vays to make you install Linux."
Actually, SuSE 8 has come a long way from their first hilarious attempt
at auto-installation with 6.3.  Maybe they'll replace their "geecko"
with a new logo - Tux wearing a "Pickelhaube" (spiked helmit.)

--
Leon A. Goldstein