On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:49:21 -0400 (EDT)
begin  Net Llama! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Gerry Doris wrote:
> > I originally tried to use MIMEdefang but never could get it to work.
> > I was intrigued with the author's view that he doesn't supply
> > binaries...if you don't know how to compile code then you shouldn't be
> > trying to use his app.  I can see his point but it still seems to be
> > rather stupid to me.
>
> Actually, i think its downright brilliant.  I think anyone running a
> server (and that's the only way you're going to need to use mimedefang)
> should be able to compile some software.  Its not brain surgery folks.
> If the only way you know how to run a server is via the
> InstallShield(tm), then you have no business being a sysadmin.

Actually, I find about 90% of "sysadmins" shouldn't be sysadmins.  While
this is principally the InstallShield crowd, it's not for want of being
able to compile code, it's for simple understanding of protocols and RFCs.

I personally think only properly licensed folks should be permitted to put
a system (but particularly a server) on the Internet.  Too late now, and
look what a mess we have.  Perhaps, just perhaps, after folks actually
start dying because things connected through/to the Internet don't work as
they should because of incompetence and a lack of understanding, something
will happen (but I doubt it).

Nothing like trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
                -- Nemesis Racing Team motto