The only problem I see with that is that effectively EVERYONE's mail gets routed through the sendmail system. Which will presumably be a cast-off box scrounged together for the test. If it dies, then everyone's mail is killed--not good for the demo.

What about using fetchmail to pull the test users' mail from the regular mail server

At 10:17 AM 10/18/02 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Friday 18 October 2002 10:07 am, Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> This one has me stumped, hopefully one of you gurus can figure it out. Here
> at work, we are trying to implement a sendmail test system to prove its
> capabilities to mgmt. We are going to be allowed to have a small group of
> specify email addresses be routed through the new sendmail box, while
> everyone else's mail goes through the normal mail route. The problem is
> that there is nothing in the email address itself to distinguish the
> allowed email adrresses from the non-allowed. In other words, lets say we
> have 100 different users at somecompany.com. These 100 people currently
> receive mail through a machine I'll call 'maill. We're getting permission
> to change 25 of those 100 people to use our new email server, called
> sendmail. We are not allowed to give these 25 people new email addresses
> for this test, nor are we alowed to create a subdomain under
> somecompany.com. How would you gurus configure sendmail to process the mail
> for these 25 people and simply forward the mail for the other 75 people to
> the existing mail server?

How about using procmail to grep a list of names.... if the name is not
found, the email gets forwarded to the other server.

Stuart Biggerstaff

Linda Hall Library of Science Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, MO 64110

Phone:  (816) 926-8748
        (800) 662-1545 x748