On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:33:12 -0400
begin  Douglas J Hunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spewed forth:

[snip]

> sendmail has to either be the final recipient or a relay for it.

[snip]

> > If these two assumptions are correct, as well as what you said about
> > not being able to have the email addresses change, good luck if you
> > want to use BLs...  I don't know much about the MILTER subsystem, but
> > David Bandel knows a bit about it.
>
> I was hoping he'd pipe up. He and I worked on some milter issues before.
> I use it on the linux-sxs.org site, but it's not this damn complicated.
>

> > You have a couple different methods you could use:
> > * Mail comes to "sendmail" and somehow all non-pilot mail is forwarded
> > to the GroupWise box.  This would allow the mail to be intelligently
> > dealt with, but as you said, MILTER would be applied to all the mail.
>
> right. mgmt isn't gonna buy it

[snip]

> > 2)If a front machine is not an option, I would probably just forward
> > the mail from the GroupWise accounts.  This would limit the use of
> > RBLs(which, I must say, have chopped my SPAM to MAYBE 1 or two every
> > few months-pulling email address off my web site) but if MILTER is
> > what I think it is, this won't matter.  David, could you speak to that
> > one?

[snip]

I'm here, just been very busy lately (and the power company has been no
help what-so-ever, in fact, they're most of my problems of late).

I seen no clean way to do this. Your problem is:

foo.org         IN      MX      5       mail.foo.org

you can't tell mail servers some mail for users at foo.org goes to one
box, and some goes to others.  In UNIX, I'd just create the appropriate
forward files.  Not sure if that's an option for GropeWise.

As for milter -- milter is just a better mechanism for a filter.  Rather
than having procmail start more processes, milter does the handling as
part of the current sendmail process:

sendmail --> procmail --> mail filter
sendmail --> mailfilter

If you're running milter on the sendmail box, even if it's forwarded from
the GropeWise box, it will still run through the milter process and any
filters you have (RBLs, etc.).  Doesn't matter how sendmail is invoked,
the milter process is part of sendmail and applied to all mails, incoming
and outgoing.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
- --