On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Tim Wunder wrote:

> On 1/29/2003 12:16 PM, someone claiming to be Gerry Doris wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Tom Wilson wrote:
> >

> >> Not trying to be facetious here but are you sure that there is a
> >> audio cable running from you cd-rom to your sound card?  That would
> >> be my first guess.
> >>
> >> --Tom Wilson
> >

> > Yes, there is an audio cable connected.  I even booted back to win98
> > (it's been a while) and I can play the same cd's without problem.
> > The hardware works!
> >

> Well, assuming you've actually *looked* at the hardware and have seen
> the cable and know it's connected and are not assuming that the cable is
> connected because Windows plays the CD's, run a mixer, kmix for KDE,
> and make sure the volume on the CD is not muted, and is turned up high
> enough.
>
> HTH,
> Tim

Hmmm, this is weird.  I now have it working.

If I use kmix I can get it to work.  However, if I use the gnome mixer
(the one on the sound menu called Volume Control) it kills the sound as
soon as it opens.  There is no way to turn the sound on again except to
start kmix and turn on the cd audio.

Thanks for pointing me to kmix!

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer