Am I wrong here?  The more I'm reading, the more I'm thinking that I am.
It actually creates the device file in /proc/usb
I will miss the auto-created file "/dev/usb/mdc800" but I should be able to link to
whatever dynamic ### hotplug uses.  I just need to add a link statement in the usbmap
script, right?  I haven't got pictures off the camera yet, so I won't say definitively
yet :)