I would think blocking domains is worse than the RBL lists.

I have started using an email gateway called messagewall.

It has a number of checks included rbl lists, reverse DNS on MX records and a lot more.

Since implementing this setup our spam has become almost no existent and is no longer
considered a problem. (I still get one or two a day).

I may be wrong, but a lot of spam claims to be from one domain, but isn't really.
Making sure that the mail comes form where it claims to have originated is the best
way.

I gave up on Spam Assassin and those types of programs because it seemed to
Be a losing battle.

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager