Geez, they just arrested a Muslim army Chaplain (West Point Grad,
Asian American, studied in Syria), who worked with the Muslims held in
Cuba. They are seeing spies under every bed, now.

BTW, a big difference between WWII and now is that German Americans were
strongly and DEMONSTRABLY supportive of their American govt, unlike Muslim
(Arab) Americans today.  For example, when FDR railroaded some incompetent
German saboteurs to the electric chair, there was no outcry from German
Americans. They supported the action. Today, if the US Govt decided to
put to death a dozen Arabs for plotting industrial sabotage, after a
quick trial by a military tribunal, imagine the outcry from you know who.

You must realize that as a non-Muslim there is simply no reason not to kill
you, in the minds of many devout Muslims. For example, I was speaking to a
Pakistani female doctor recently. She said that there have been rare
times in the USA when her ethnicity has caused some hurt to her due to
discrimination. However, she said, if she went back to Pakistan with her
"white husband" (her words, not mine), he would likely be attacked and
killed on a public street. By, of course, people who consider themselves
good Muslims.

There are many millions of such good Muslims.

The inaction of the many other millions of Muslims who "oppose" violence
is puzzling.  I suspect they are taking the same sort of pragmatic
approach that the Swedes took in 1941. As the Swedish diplomat said,
if the English win, we are Democrats. If the Germans win, we are Aryans.

Think about that, next time you are angry over your government's efforts
to protect you.  You might be surprised at who your friends really are. For
example, a lot of 60's kids who grew up despising the "pigs" (You know
who you are.) came to rely upon the pigs for protection once they had
something to protect.

It is interesting to see how people, sometimes the same people, sing
different tunes, depending on the situation. For example, many critics of
Bush complain that Iraq may have freedom now, but what good is freedom
without security? This is often repeated, and given credence by many
prominent Americans. However, in this country, they complain about the
slightest infringement of civil liberties. It is even more interesting
that the infringements are especially irksome if carried out in the name
of national security. Infringements in the the name of some favored cause,
like conservation, campaign finance reform, diversity, abortion rights,
gun control, etc., are much more tolerable.

Just something to think about.

Joel