On 20 Sep 2003 at 22:54, Joel Hammer boldly uttered:

> Geez, they just arrested a Muslim army Chaplain (West Point Grad,
> Asian American, studied in Syria), who worked with the Muslims held in
> Cuba. They are seeing spies under every bed, now.

They say he had in his possession some incriminating documents.  We
shall see.  (Or maybe not.  If they declare him an "enemy combatant"
they could dice him up into little pieces and put him into a blender
for all the public will be able to find out)

> BTW, a big difference between WWII and now is that German Americans were
> strongly and DEMONSTRABLY supportive of their American govt, unlike Muslim
> (Arab) Americans today.  For example, when FDR railroaded some incompetent
> German saboteurs to the electric chair, there was no outcry from German
> Americans. They supported the action. Today, if the US Govt decided to
> put to death a dozen Arabs for plotting industrial sabotage, after a
> quick trial by a military tribunal, imagine the outcry from you know who.

Who is "you know who"?  And why do they think they need to use a
military tribunal instead of a regular court?

I really really really don't think most islamic Americans are going
to bitch if someone is convicted for really-and-truly trying to
commit terrorist acts on US soil.

Nonetheless, I really don't think very many westerners, and
particularly Americans, have much idea at all about why people from
the Islamic world (or any other group of people the US has
differences with) have such distrust of the US government.  There are
many reasons, and lots of them are quite understandable.  Swallow
your pride and stop your flag-waving for a minute and EDUCATE
yourself on this.  How about starting here - read the first 2 at
least:

http://www.rmbowman.com/ssn/longshort2.htm
http://www.rmbowman.com/ssn/terror3.htm
http://www.afghan-network.net/911/afghan-beeman.html
http://tinyurl.com/6tf6
http://www.monbiot.com/dsp_article.cfm?article_id=524

More:
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/helenthomas/2101990/detail.html
http://www.cato.org/dailys/04-11-03.html
http://web.mid-day.com/news/nation/2003/april/49811.htm
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2003/633/fr2.htm
http://www.zmag.org/hermancover.htm

Results of recent Pew Research study on how favorably the USA is
viewed in various countries:

Italy: 34%  (In 2002: 70%)
Britain: 48% (In 2002: 75%)
Spain: 14% (In 1999-2000: 50%)
France: 31% (In 2002: 63%)
Germany: 25% (In 2002: 61%)
Poland: 50% (In 2002: 79%)
Russia: 28% (In 2002: 61%)
Turkey: 12% (In 2002: 30%)

> You must realize that as a non-Muslim there is simply no reason not to kill
> you, in the minds of many devout Muslims. For example, I was speaking to a
> Pakistani female doctor recently. She said that there have been rare
> times in the USA when her ethnicity has caused some hurt to her due to
> discrimination. However, she said, if she went back to Pakistan with her
> "white husband" (her words, not mine), he would likely be attacked and
> killed on a public street. By, of course, people who consider themselves
> good Muslims.
>
> There are many millions of such good Muslims.

Such "examples" are about as useful as characterizing the guys who go
around assassinating family-planning doctors as "good christians",
despite the fact that their Christian god said "thou shalt not kill".

I think this article is instructive on the brand of Islam that is on
the rise, mostly for political reasons:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1634755.stm

> The inaction of the many other millions of Muslims who "oppose" violence
> is puzzling.  I suspect they are taking the same sort of pragmatic
> approach that the Swedes took in 1941. As the Swedish diplomat said,
> if the English win, we are Democrats. If the Germans win, we are Aryans.

I really think westerners, and Americans in particular, need to
educate themselves a lot more about the world outside their own
borders.  In particular the generations of exploitation that has gone
on in the middle east by the west.  Perhaps then they will understand
that these people who appear (based on biased western news reports,
anyway) to be supporting such things, feel no differently than
American soldiers who cheer while killing thousands of innocent
civilians in Iraq, because they're on a "mission from God".  Some
irony. (The Pope bitterly opposed the Iraq war, BTW) Americans in
particular have shown they have little interest in self-reflection in
these matters.

> Think about that, next time you are angry over your government's efforts
> to protect you.  You might be surprised at who your friends really are. For
> example, a lot of 60's kids who grew up despising the "pigs" (You know
> who you are.) came to rely upon the pigs for protection once they had
> something to protect.

A lot of grains of sand are purple too.  Doesn't mean they're visible
when I go to the beach though.

> It is interesting to see how people, sometimes the same people, sing
> different tunes, depending on the situation.

The hypocrisy in evidence within the current US administration is a
good place to start.  Never in my lifetime have I witnessed so much
of it.

> For example, many critics of
> Bush complain that Iraq may have freedom now, but what good is freedom
> without security?

People are assuming they have "freedom" eh?  Why... because the TV
said so?  Freedom to starve?  Freedom to be attacked randomly?
Freedom to be colonized?  Freedom to engage in a civil war?

> This is often repeated, and given credence by many
> prominent Americans. However, in this country, they complain about the
> slightest infringement of civil liberties.

You cannot compare the social situation and expectations of a rich
and fat country like the USA, to someplace like Iraq which has been
under brutalizing conditions for many years since Bush I's first's
military campaign over there. (not to mention Saddam's regime, whose
human-rights record is well-known)

However prior to 1991, Iraq had the most well-developed national
infrastructure and conveniences in the entire Middle East.  They are
now firmly in the "3rd World" category, since they have not enough
food to eat, medicines for hospitals, clean water, electricity, and
so on.  Values and expectations vary dramatically when you don't even
know where your next meal is going to come from.  Fat and spoiled
Americans have a _really_ hard time, in general, understanding a lot
of this.

> It is even more interesting
> that the infringements are especially irksome if carried out in the name
> of national security. Infringements in the the name of some favored cause,
> like conservation, campaign finance reform, diversity, abortion rights,
> gun control, etc., are much more tolerable.
>
> Just something to think about.

Not particularly illuminating, if what you're trying to do is compare
the USA and Iraq.  You cannot make direct comparisons between those 2
places for (what should be, at least now) obvious reasons.

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium