I'd like to know as well.  I'm quite happy with SuSE 8.2 Pro.  But there is
so much software included in SuSE that perhaps they have included new
revisions of a lot of software that would never make the
sales-bullet-points.  There were some rough edges that may have been cleared
up as well.  For $49 upgrade, I'll probably pay it at least once.  See what
the future SuSE distro holds.  Otherwise, 8.2 is great for what I do, which
includes audio editing, development, and server stuff.  Their video editing
stuff was broad but didn't support many file formats.  I'm hoping that's one
of the bonuses of 9.0, but we'll see.

This is why SCO was screwed up about not having a desktop (ok, so they were
screwed about a good many things).  I learn about how good a distro is by
using it on my desktop.  It's something I have control over but only affects
me.  Baptism by fire is another way of looking at it.  The problem
economically is that Desktop Linux is so powerful as a server that the fear
of not selling servers is somewhat real...  This is why RedHat's approach to
ES seems good to me.  Give the distro away for download, charge for updates
and support.  That allows us support personnel to learn it and possibly love
it, while charging for the real enterprise value-add: support.  SuSE charges
a little without making ISO's available but so long as their Professional
distro is still so reasonable ($80 is really a great buy for what you get)
it's worth it for those not averse to non-RH distros.
Then their's the Debain/Slackies (and associated distros) who will be a
cornerstone of Linux for many years to come.  The Debian crowd, in their
religion of free-software, provide the Linux community a great anchor from
which many corporate distros cannot stray far...  So long as there are
solid, fully free and "libre" distros, the costs associated with Corporate
distributions will have to stay reasonable in cost.  The competition will
require it.

Thanks to all distro maintainers, corporate or otherwise.  This community
has a great deal to offer, and a great deal to gain in the years to come.
Quality of OpenSource, on the whole, will only improve.  Cruft has no place
in the long-term plans.