> On Friday 02 November 2001 06:39, Glenn Williams wrote:
> > Then I made sure I can boot both Linux and XP with PM 7 Boot Magic.
> >  BM
>
> this is *not* a flame at you. I have never properly understood why
> people insist on using $60 flakey software when lilo (or grub) do the
> job.

[snip]

> the following lilo.conf is a 90% garanteed success. it is THIS
> SIIMPLE
>
> (ignore all #comments)
>
> boot ="/dev/hda"     # THE MBR
> install=/boot/boot.b # THE contents of that mbr
> map  =/boot/map  # internal use
>
> linear  # THE method of disk accces, there are others, this one
> works.
>
> prompt  #rubbish
> timeout="50"  #rubbish
> message=/boot/message  #rubbish
> read-only   #yeah yeah
>
> #------linux OS fragment
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz_think_of_a_number
>
>       label="TOMATOES"
>
>             root="/dev/hdb2"   # THE disk and THE partition
>
> #------ DOS OS fragment
>
> other=/dev/hda1    #THE disk and THE partition
>
>       label=PORRIDGE
> ---------
>

> repeat the above fragments for as many different kernels and OS's
> that give you a thrill, remembering to mount those fragments prior to
> issuing /sbin/lilo
>
> /sbin/lilo will scream it's head off if any syntax above is wrong,
> (or if the item ain't mounted), it is THAT simple.
>
> ------------

> It doesn't matter a rat's *rse whether the OS booting to, uses
> a left knee over toehold, reverse dihedral double dichotomy file
> system, with pretzels. Whatever that file system 'is', it has no part
> to play during booting because it can't be implemented in 446 bytes!
> Whatever the OS, linux included, that file system, and all
> parephenalia associated with it, is NOT part of the boot process, it
> is 'somewhere else'.

Very instructive... and *way too* funny!
<ROTFLMAO>

> All that is ever required, is to provide the incredibly imple syntax
> above, so that lilo can point to 'something else'.

Hi, Mike:

First of all, let me say that I did not take offense to your comments
in the least.  They seem to have been written in the same tone as your
tutorial on LILO in the SxS - which I think (tone) is very good.

Second, your dry, but not-so-suttle, uproariously irreverent sense of
humor bleeds through your writing in a most entertaining but immensely
instructive way.

Third, I learned something from this experience.  Most importantly,
this time I did *not* panic.  I actually had some fun putting things
back together. I got helpful suggestions from several list members, and
I don't mean to minimize their help, but mostly, I relied on what I
already knew (if I would only take the time to think about it), and
what I could find in the many good books I have.

Reduced to a paragraph or so, here's what I did:

I first used YaST2 to make a system boot floppy by writing my existing
LILO to a floppy.  I tested it and it works.

Then I used YaST2 (could have done that from the command line) to
write the same LILO to the Linux partition of the hard drive.  Next, I
restored the original MBR using a DOS boot floppy and the DOS fdisk
/MBR command.  Then I installed Partition Magic 7 Boot Magic and made
sure that would boot both OSs.  Finally, I rounded the final turn by
disabling Boot Magic and writing LILO to the MBR.  Which
is, of course, where I began.  ;0)

I know that wasn't the best or most straight-forward approach, but it
was a worthwhile experience, all in all.  Everything boots nicely.  And
I may remember some of this as late as next Wednesday.

Thanks for your comments, Mike.

Regards,

Glenn

--