Bruce,

Not with a thinkpad, but an old Chicony. I bought a 2.5->3.5 power
adapter and used DriveCopy 3.0 in my desktops to copy drive to drive
with winbloze 98se, suse 7.2, col 3.1beta, etc. Then simply plugged
back in the new drive in the laptop and away I went still using the
18G that was copied/imaged from a 6.4 G. I dunno if this helps.

Best Regards,

Keith B.