>From the BBC online.
Friday, 8 February, 2002, 12:35
Here is the last part of a story covering a speech by Mr. Mbeki to the S.A.
parliament this week:
"He also announced a pledge by the US software giant Microsoft to provide
software to all of  South Africa's 32,000 public schools."

You can read the entire story if you like, but that paragraph was the only
reference to MS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/newsid_1808000/1808986.stm

This looks to be a beautiful marketing move. It's a shame there is no
organization that could supply linux. I suppose S.A. will get grants
from Western countries to buy the hardware to run the free MS software. So,
Western governments will help pay to extend MS's monoply. Very nice touch.
Anybody who doubts the intelligence of the MS organization should reflect on
the genius of this "gift."

It is my observation that very few people, having used windows for a
while, will willingly switch to linux. Therefore, it looks like linux just
lost the African computer market.  As I recall, MS took over the office
productivity market by giving people cheap versions of word and excel.
(MS works). After that, they had to use Work and Excel at work. I suppose
they'll do the same here.

Joel