On Fri 10 Aug 2012 12:46:54 NZST +1200, Vik Olliver wrote:

> 2GB is probably the size limit for files on your Windows file system.

For NTFS? I so do not think so. For this fat mental seizure you'd be
right though.

I have successfully copied 40GB files around on NTFS using openSUSE 12.1
without any trouble at all. The files were generated with ntfsclone.
It's the perfect image backup for NTFS without having to back up unused
diskspace as with dd. Even better if you manage to copy sparse files,
that allows you to loop-mount the backup file. Not too much of a
problem, the ntfsclone help and manpage is very very good.

Bruce, check a few things:

ext4 is not compatible with ext3! If you start booting live CDs that are
not properly ext4 capable expect problems. ext2 and ext3 are
interchangeable. ext4 is not. (This is also the reason why ext4 is
reasonably performant compared with reiserfs, as opposed to ext3 which
isn't.)

Find out whether the problem is with reading the original or writing the
copy. cat originalfile | wc -c will tell.

To find out whether there is a write limit at 2GB, use
dd bs=1M count=2500 </dev/zero >file-on-ntfs

Linux ntfs-3g has problems with corrupted ntfs. Run a proper filesystem
check, and you'll have to do that on doze. Alternatively, mkfs -t ntfs
should work...

ntfs-3g I don't think handles any ntfs encryption. Microsoft seems to
run that at the file level though, no idea what happens with directories
but if that's the problem I'd expect some weird errors.

Good luck, it should just work,

Volker

--
Volker Kuhlmann