On Fri 12 Oct 2012 11:57:20 NZDT +1300, Jim Cheetham wrote:

> It would help, except for the fact that Evolution/GNOME(?) have simply
> ignored the whole use-case of "I do not want Network Manager to manage
> my network, but I have not uninstalled it." NM is a user-based tool,
> which is very good if you have to use personal credentials to access
> the network (i.e. corporate wifi mainly, or most VPNs).

NM is a complete total waste of disk space for VPN. Why? To make it
connect, you need one more critical option in the openvpn configuration
file to meet the security level of the openvpn server. Does NM allow you
to put it in? Oh hells bells! "We do not allow users to just add any odd
configuration option - that's too dangerous, even as root, we need to
nanny users to prevent them from shooting themselves in the foot." We
know what's best for you(TM).

Dickheads.

Volker

--