Markus Kuhn writes:

> I strongly recommend that you follow the practice we established in
> XFree86 for the -misc-fixed-*-iso10646 fonts and split up GNU Unifont into
> two separate charcell font files, one 8x16 and one 16x16.

No, please don't do that. We need *both* ways of packaging Unicode fonts:

  * As two separate charcell (fixed-width) fonts, for use by xterm
    and similar applications where width matters a lot.

  * As a single (proportional) font, for use by applications which use
    a single font.

As a matter of fact, GNU unifont (as a single font) is very useful for
use in cooledit or konqueror.

Markus, please consider making a combined packaging of
   misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--
   misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-ja-
into a single font, that would be covered by the same license and
which could therefore be an alternative to unifont, included with
XFree86.

Btw, what is the license of the unifont? Is it suitable for inclusion
in XFree86?

Bruno
-