Keld Simonsen wrote:
> > How do we fix this in the keyboard standards and how do we get the fix
> > onto the market? Any suggestions?
>
> It is really hard to get something done. What we can do is something
> with X. Getting the physical layout is much harder. Unless you
> want to split the keyboard and take off the keys and rearrange them.
> Could be done. Costs some money. But you can do it in a small
> scale and then try to pull it off in the big. But try to think
> of DVORAC keyboards, they never took off.

Try to think of the Windows keys on the other hand ...

> I have tried to persuade
> Cherry to introduce some plug-and-play indification so the
> keyborad could identify itself when asked, but without luck yet.
> Everything else nowadays identifies itself on a system.

I'm typing this on a USB keyboard, which identifies its layout (well,
actually more a sort of keyboard-specific country code, nothing really
well-engineered; complaints to [EMAIL PROTECTED]) to the operating
system.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs.html

Markus