On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Markus Kuhn wrote:
> In particular, very urgently missing on English keyboards is the EN
> DASH. I am fed up with seeing hyphen signs being used everywhere as
> dashes....
> How do we fix this in the keyboard standards and how do we get the fix
> onto the market?

Unfortunately, getting it onto keyboards won't get it programmed into
users' fingers.  The real answer to this one, I'm afraid, has to be in the
software, not in the keyboards.  People *will* go on typing the same
character for hyphen, dash, and minus.  Even if all three showed up on the
keycaps (not just as mystical shift-alt-meta combinations), which would be
much harder to arrange, it wouldn't have the desired effect until a new
generation of users grew up.  The software is just going to have to get
smarter about how it renders what the user types.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]