On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:49:01PM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> > There is a step between shift-alt-meta and printed on the keycaps. An
> > English (non-programmers) keyboard could be designed and distributed
> > in software. It's not impossible that Microsoft could support such a
> > thing and keyboard manufacturers start making the things, meaning the
> > next generation actually reliably gets it right.
>
> You're still dodging the crucial problem, which is getting people to
> change their touch-typing habits to actually *use* the new symbols.

Why is that crucial? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make
them drink. People will use whatever orthographies they want. Make it
reasonable and feasible for people to do the right thing, and let time
and social pressure move them in the right direction. Look at where
we've gone on the whole `quote' issue. Hopefully in another 10 years,
a lot of people will be using curved quotes - another thing it's bloody
impossible to get from the keyboard.

--
David Starner / Давид Старнэр - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
What we've got is a blue-light special on truth. It's the hottest thing