David Starner wrote on 2002-11-05 21:49 UTC:
> As a Project Gutenberg volunteer, I've been submitting new texts in
> Unicode, even those in English, to preserve what the author wrote.

Very sensible indeed!

> Has anyone else made a 'more modern' English keyboard?

I too have my personal .Xmodmap file to get currently missing English
X11 keysyms such as

  endash, emdash, nobreakspace, leftsinglequotemark, leftdoublequotemark,
  rightsinglequotemark, rightdoublequotemark, degree, mu

accessible on a UK keyboard. But all these can only be considered to be
guru hacks.

What actually needs to be done is a revision of the relevant national
keyboard layout standard to map a Unicode repertoire appropriate for the
English language in question to labeled keys.

BS 4822:1994  Specification for keyboard allocation of graphic
              characters for data processing

Once that is done, you could hopefully soon buy for £25 a new keyboard
and enjoy an adequate easy to enter character repertoire.

Labeled characters currently on the UK keyboard that I suggest to be
removed as they are not used in practice (EBCDIC legacy):

  U00A6  BROKEN BAR
  U00AC  NOT SIGN

Characters that ought to be added:

  U00A0  NO-BREAK SPACE
  U00B5  MICRO SIGN
  U00B0  DEGREE SIGN
  U00B2  SUPERSCRIPT TWO
  U00B3  SUPERSCRIPT THREE
  U2013  EN DASH
  U2014  EM DASH
  U2018  LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
  U2019  RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
  U201C  LEFT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
  U201D  RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK
  U2020  DAGGER
  U2021  DOUBLE DAGGER

and perhaps also a view combining characters for the most common
accents.

Are there any UK people here, preferably even employed by member
companies of the British Standards Institute, who would be interested in
setting up a little project to drag the (kicking and screaming) UK
keyboard standard into the 21st century? Ideally this would even be
coordinated with ANSI, in the hope that we might finally end up with a
single worldwide standard PC keyboard layout for all English-language
users ...

It's really about time to get this sorted out!

Markus